Skip to Content

Are Plumerias Poisonous to Dogs? (Read This First!)

It is amazing to have beautiful plants around the house until you get to know that it is poisonous or harmful for your dogs. This is why you must be certain about the plants you buy if you have pets at home. 

Are plumerias poisonous to dogs?

Plumerias are quite toxic and poisonous for pets such as dogs. If your dog ends up eating any parts of the plant it can cause widespread problems such as rashes, vomiting, and even loose motion. It is the sap of the plant that causes digestive and skin irritations. 

Plumerias are also known as frangipanis and they are a popular variety of plants throughout the world. They are attractive plants that are often found on the front porch or inside people’s houses.

They are toxic and poisonous because of the sap they contain. It is infamous for causing skin irritations and even worse problems when ingested by pets such as dogs because of their toxic sap. The entire plant is toxic and poisonous and they can even cause skin irritation in humans. 

When ingested by pets such as dogs, it can cause worse. It can range from an outbreak of skin rashes and blisters to worse such as excessive vomiting and diarrhea.

If any parts of the plant are ingested by your dog you must give your dog immediate and proper medical attention to avoid any further complications. 

Are plumeria leaves poisonous to dogs?

Yes, plumeria leaves are very poisonous to dogs. The white sap present can also end up irritating and causing rash for humans. When it comes to dogs, it is much worse.

If your dog ingests the leaves it can cause irritation in your dog’s stomach and rash and blisters can break out if your dog is on the more sensitive side. Your dog will require to be checked by a vet immediately before the symptoms worsen. 

Are plumeria flowers poisonous to dogs?

All parts of a plumeria plant tend to be toxic and poisonous. Their flowers can be the most toxic and poisonous part of the plant because it contains the most sap.

The white and milky sap is quite dangerous for dogs and if your dog bites on it or ingests it can result in something worse than just gut irritation. It can result in a lot of vomiting and loose motion. You must keep your dogs away from plumerias to avoid that. 

What if my dog eats a plumeria?

Since the milky saps of plumeria are very dangerous it can get quite bad if your dog eats and ingests a plumeria. Even if your dog takes a part of the plant between its lips it can cause severe skin irritation and rash breakout.

If any parts of the plant are ingested it can irritate the gut and result in a loss of appetite. It can also cause excessive release of saliva from the mouth, vomiting, or worse even diarrhea. It can also result in blisters breaking out on your dog’s lips and body.

If you notice your dog showing any of the signs listed then you must give it the proper medical care immediately to avoid any severe difficulties. 

What to do if your dog eats plumeria?

You must prevent your dog from touching or eating any parts of a plumeria at any cost. However, if you are unable to do so then there are certain measures you must take. 

Immediate measure:

There are immediate measures you must take so that your dog does not face too much pain.

Since the milky sap present can cause very bad skin irritations and rashes you must wash your dog thoroughly with warm water as well as some soap.

If your pet starts to vomit due to the ingestion affecting their guts then you can give them some fluid to help soothe them. Milk can be great as long as your dog does not have issues with it. 

Take your dog to a vet:

Since plumerias are mildly toxic, ingesting only a small amount will result in the symptoms being short-lived.

However, if your dog has ingested a big amount of any parts of the plant then it can get quite severe and lethargic. It can be painful blisters, pain in the stomach, loss of appetite, constant vomiting, or even diarrhea.

In that case, you must immediately take your dog to a vet to prevent it from getting any more serious. 


Once your dog stops vomiting and starts to do better you must only give your dog food made at home. The diet should consist of boiled chicken and rice so that your dog’s digestive system can be soothed and restored. 

How long does plant poisoning last in dogs?

If the plant is mildly toxic and your dog has ingested only a tiny part of the plant then the plant poisoning does not last long. It can last up to two or three hours at maximum.

If the plant is more on the toxic side or your dog has ingested quite a bit then it can get quite severe. The symptoms may last up to thirty or forty hours and your dog might end up having a serious loss of appetite.

In that case, you must give your dog medical attention immediately to prevent any worse complications. 

How to treat plant poisoning in dogs?

The treatment depends on the species and type of plant your dog has touched or ingested. It is best to take advice from a vet so that it does not get serious.

It can require the vet to flush your dog’s belly out of any toxins via various methods or even require surgery.

If the symptoms are not too serious then you can use warm soap and water to treat affected areas and rashes at home or give your dog medicines or fluids to soothe its stomach. 

How do I stop my dog from eating my plants?

There are certain steps you can take to prevent your dog from eating your plants at home. 

Move the plants:

This is the easiest and fastest way. Move awny plants you have at home away from the reach of your dog so that it cannot go close to the plant to eat it. 

Dog training:

You can hire a professional dog trainer or train your dog by yourself at home. You can use various training methods such as giving your dog treats when it complies with your request of not touching the plants.

You can also use certain devices that set off triggers when your dog is too close to the plant so that it moves away 

Leave lemons around the plant:

Dogs are not fond of lemons so you can slice some up and leave it around the pots of your plant so that your dog gets repelled and does not approach the plants. 

Have a separate fenced garden:

If none of the tips work then you can invest in an outdoor garden and fence off the area. You can use chicken wires but if your dog is too stubborn then you can also opt for metal fences. 

Are plumerias poisonous to cats or other pets?

All the parts of the plumerias are known to be toxic. It contains a white and milky sap that causes irritation on the skin and guts as well as rashes. It can be quite poisonous to cats and other pets such as dogs and rabbits.

It can also even cause skin irritation in humans. For pets it can get worse as it can form blisters, resulting in constant vomit. Your pet may even lose its appetite and suffer from diarrhea. 

Are plumerias poisonous to birds, chickens, horses, or other animals?

Yes, plumerias are poisonous to birds, chickens and horses, and even mother animals such as rabbits, cats, and dogs. They are even slightly toxic for humans too. This is because of the sap they tend to possess which causes skin problems and gut irritations. 

Even touching an exposed plant and as a result, coming into contact with the sap can cause rashes and blisters. It ends up affecting people who have sensitive skin and animals. 

It can cause a plethora of more problems when ingested such as an irritated digestive system, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea.

The symptoms only last a couple of hours and you should not be too worried unless your pet has ingested too much of it. In that case, you should give your pet the medical attention required to avoid further problems. 

Final Words:

Dogs are smart and even training them might not do the job of keeping them away from your plumerias because they are curious in nature. It is best to avoid such toxic plants when you have pets at home or you can consider fencing the plants away in an outdoor garden as it can cause pain to your dog.