Skip to Content

Is Pine Sap Toxic or Poisonous to Dogs, Cats & Humans?

Tree sap is always under a tree and when you stand near one, you are bound to get some on your feet, if not on your hands. There are a few tree saps that can be poisonous to humans, as well as, animals.

Is pine sap toxic or poisonous to dogs?

Although pine sap cannot be considered to be toxic or poisonous to dogs, it is still bad for them. This is because if a dog eats pine sap, it is bound to feel certain discomfort. Depending on how much is consumed, the dog will get sick. Vomiting, nausea, and fatigue are some of the symptoms.

The reason for concern for dog owners if their pup eats pine sap would be when they eat a lot of it. This could immediately make your dog stop all activities and become as lethargic as a stone. They would not move or play.

Other than that, you can also expect your dog to exhibit several signs of sickness over time. Although waiting for sap is not fatal and the sickness only lasts due to indigestion, it is always best to keep pine sap away from dogs.

You may want to visit the vet if your dog is not getting better or gets worse after eating pine sap.

What happens if my dog eats pine sap?

When a dog eats pine sap, it may cause the dog to be unsettled for the following reasons:

Act as an irritant:

More than anything, if your dog has eaten pine sap, you can expect your pet to be in discomfort due to the irritation caused by pine sap.

From vomiting to nausea, the dog may suffer several issues, none of which are fatal or everlasting.

Can cause digestion issues:

Since dogs cannot digest the pine sap they might have eaten; the problem arises concerning indigestion. This could also make them vomit more often until the sap is out.

Can make dogs fatigued:

Immediately after having pine sap, you could notice how your dog has become lethargic and all the more fatigued due to the discomfort it is going through.

How do you get pine sap off a dog’s paw?

If your dog has pine sap stuck on its paw, it’s immediately time for action. Here is how you can get pine sap off a dog’s paw:

Use a dog-friendly oil:

At first, use a dog-friendly oil like olive oil or mineral oil to apply on the area where the dog has pine sap. Gently massage that area to make the pine sap dissolve to some degree.

Wash off the oil and sap mess:

Once done, you would need some water with pet shampoo to wash off the oil and sap mess. Wash the paws thoroughly to get rid of any pine sap.

Use a clipper:

If there is hard gunk, you should use a clipper but a professional groomer is always a better idea if you are not good with blades.

Is pine sap toxic or poisonous to cats?

Pine sap has been proven to be mildly toxic to cats and can cause some major health hazards including kidney or liver damage, vomiting – if a cat ingests pine sap. This would entirely depend on how much pine sap the cat has eaten but can be fatal if the cat eats too much pine sap. 

Can cats have pine sap?

Cats cannot have pine sap as it may be toxic to them in many ways. The accumulated sap in the pine tree basin is also filled with chemicals like fertilizers and other bacteria, the combination of which can be detrimental to a cat’s health if they eat pine sap.

Although studies cannot find what exactly makes pine sap mildly toxic to cats, it has been observed that the sap can cause severe damage to a cat’s liver as well as kidney.

In less severe cases, the cat may feel extreme fatigue, vomiting and slow movement, and difficulty breathing as well.

What happens if my cat eats pine sap?

If your cat has been around a pine tree, it is a cause of concern. Here are a few health hazards that a cat may face if it eats pine sap.

Severe problems in digestion:

One of the main issues that are immediately visible as the cat gets sick is problems with its digestion of the sap. The cat might start vomiting constantly. You can also expect symptoms like diarrhea in cats.


A cat that has eaten pine sap will be extremely fatigued and weak in its muscles. You may notice slow breathing as well as slow movements in your cat.

Kidney and liver damage:

In more serious cases, your cat may suffer from damage in the kidney and liver, with changes in the gum color and urine.

How to get pine sap off cat paws?

If your cat has gotten pine sap on its paws, remove it immediately so that it cannot irritate the cat’s skin. Here is what you need to be doing:

Use coconut or mineral oil:

Since pine sap can harden on your cats’ paws, you would need to use any kind of oil to soften it first. Whether you use coconut oil or mineral oil, make sure you massage the cat’s paws to soften the sap.

Use water and soap:

Next use water and soap to wash off the oil and sap from the cat’s paws. You may want to use a shampoo that your cat likes and is safe for it.

Rinse and dry:

Rinse and dry your cat’s paws completely.

Is pine sap toxic or poisonous to humans?

Much unlike pine sap is to some animals, it is not poisonous for humans even if someone eats it. However, you may want to note that eating pine sap directly can make you feel extremely sick. To start, someone who has eaten pine sap would know that the taste is not very pleasant either.

You cannot exactly say that pine sap is poisonous if humans come in contact with it or eat it. Unlike many other tree saps that can be eaten, this one is not recommended because it can cause some people to become sicker than others.

The ingredients in pine sap that may cause indigestion problems and other sicknesses in humans is a mix of turpentine and the extracted and Stockholm Tar.

As you know, pine bark can be eaten and so can pine nuts which would not make you feel ill. With pine sap, it can cause some irritation to people especially if you have allergies. 

What happens if you eat pine sap?

If you eat pine sap, here are a few consequences you might have to face temporarily.

Discomfort and indigestion:

The most serious issue that you might face if you eat pine sap is digestion issues like vomiting but mostly nausea.

Triggered allergies:

If you are someone who is unknowingly allergic to pine sap, you may face more issues like irritation, itching, and skin problems caused by the triggered allergy.

Bad taste in the mouth:

Last but not the least, pine sap is not pleasant to taste. Eating pine sap will surely leave your tongue in a distasteful state for quite some time.

What Tree sap is poisonous to humans?

The following tree sap is poisonous to humans –


This tree produces sap that can have a human or animal completely unconscious in minutes. The sap on this tree is so toxic, that people are not allowed to stand under the tree when it rains.

Poison Ivy: 

This sap can make your skin and body irritated in minutes because of its toxic sap.

Pain bush:

The African plant gives off a sap that is creamy in texture and can be quite toxic, as the same suggests.

Is pine tree sap bad?

As you have already guessed, pine sap is not the most poisonous for humans and some animals but it can be more toxic for some animals like a cat. However, pine sap is not good for your health either.

It can make any animal or humans sick and if eaten in larger mounts cause worse health hazards as well.

What does a diseased pine tree sap look like?

At first, the color of the pine sap changes in a noticeable manner as it will turn into an orange or yellow stained sap. Next, the sap also becomes more hardened indicating that the tree sap is diseased.

Final Thoughts

Since pine nuts and bark are completely edible, a lot of people might mistakenly eat what is known as pine sap. Although pine sap is not poisonous to most, it can be toxic to some animals like cats. Pine sap can cause a variety of temporary health problems in both humans and animals.