Skip to Content

Is Mandevilla or Dipladenia Poisonous to Dogs, Cats, Etc?

The perennial that is shaped like a trumpet is none other than the fragrant blossom of Mandeville. Mandeville or Dipladenia is also known as Rock Trumpet owing to its name.

As pretty and colorful it may look, when it comes to the safety of your pets, you’d need to be careful about a plant’s toxicity.

Is Mandevilla or Dipladenia poisonous to dogs, cats, etc?

According to the official ASPCA, Mandevilla or Dipladenia are plants that are not considered to be toxic or poisonous to dogs, cats, and other animals. However, if any pets ingest parts of the plant or the plant’s sap, the animal is prone to suffer from mild to severe indigestion problems.

As for the poisonous content present in the plant, there can be various effects on the pets if consumed. Let’s get to know them for your furry friends.

To dogs:

Since dogs are curious little creatures, they are often allured by the scent and color of the Mandevilla or Dipladenia plants.

According to the ASPCA, neither Mandevilla nor Dipladenia falls in the category of toxic plant for dogs.

However, like anything that is not edible, these plants would make a dog suffer from stomach problems if eaten in larger amounts.

Few dogs, although not most, have quite sensitive stomachs. If these dogs lick the sap of the plant by any chance, you can expect your pet to suffer from vomiting as well as weakness.

To cats:

When compared to dogs, cats do have more sensitive stomachs and are a lot more vulnerable to getting ill when they ingest something they are not supposed to.

If you doubt that your cat has eaten some of that milky sap coming out from Mandevilla or Dipladenia, you would be able to tell for your cat is bound to suffer from an indigestion problem.

If the sap gets onto the paws or lips of the cat, it might even suffer from skin irritation and allergies.

To other pets:

Like cats and dogs, Mandeville and Diplandia plants are mostly mildly toxic to all animals like rabbits, mice, and birds.

Gastronomical issues and an upset stomach are the first effects that start to appear in animals when they ingest these two plants.

Although never fatal, Mandeville and Diplandia can cause animals to get sick with an unwillingness to eat and move. However, In worse cases, tremors and seizures are also likely

Are Mandevilla or Dipladenia flowers poisonous to pets?

For animals with sensitive stomachs, certain parts of Mandevilla or Dipladenia plants can result in more sickness. The flower of the plants, for instance, can cause pets to start vomiting and in turn cause serious weakness.

If the flowers have chemically charged pesticides on them, pets who ingest large amounts of the petals could even suffer from weakness and tremors.

Although not poisonous, Mandeville or Dipladenia flowers should be kept away from pets.

Are Mandevilla vines poisonous to pets?

The vine of Mandevilla is particularly dangerous for pets because of the milky white sap that it contains. When the vines are broken, the sap comes out of the parts.

Oftentimes, dogs, cats, and other pets are attracted to tasting the sap. Since it is distasteful, they might be discouraged to ingest it in larger amounts. Either way, the sap can cause allergic reactions and irritate a pet’s skin greatly.

What are the toxic Parts of Mandevilla or Dipladenia?

In plants, certain parts are more toxic than others. Likewise, if your pet eats the root instead of the stem, the problems the animal will face would be different since the parts are not equally toxic.


The blooms are colorful and parts that mostly allure animals as they find the scent and hues attractive.

While those parts are not too toxic, the chemicals from pesticides that lay on the flowers can cause indirect poisoning.

Depending on how many chemicals the animal ingested and how many leaves they ate, indigestion could be mild to severe.

Chewing on the flowers and completely swelling them in larger amounts can also cause an animal to vomit since the flowers of Mandeville or Dipladenia are not edible either.

Stem and Roots:

From every cracked and broken part of the Mandevilla or Dipladenia plant, you would notice that a milky white liquid comes out. This is the sap of the plant which is more toxic than leaves and blooms of the same plant.

Since the sap does not smell or taste so appetizing, your pet might not be so interested in eating the white substance. However, the sap might probably get smothered on the pet’s skin or even mouth area.

This could cause a lot of irritation to the skin and visible redness and itching could be an almost immediate effect.


The problem with Mandevilla or Dipladenia leaves is the same as it is with the flowers and small blooms.

Because these leaves are usually covered with pesticides, ingesting the leaves or even chewing them can make animals feel sick.  Sap can also come out of leaves if chewed.

What happens when pets consume Mandevilla or Dipladenia?

Although Mandeville or Dipladenia are not considered to be highly toxic for pets, the extremely low toxicity level can still have effects on your pet. Here is what you might expect if your pet ingests parts of the plant, here is what you can expect:


Mandeville is not toxic however, they are not edible either. Since pets are attracted to the colorful blooms, they can sometimes lick the sap of the steps or even bite and chew into the leaves and flowers.

One of the first signs of effects that you might notice in your pet is problems with the stomach. From mild to severe digestion problems, the amount of Mandeville or Dipladenia the pet eats might cause vomiting and nausea as well.

Skin Irritation:

In the Mandeville or Dipladenia plant, the sap is what causes more problems in plants.

Since the sap comes out of the stems of the plants, and oozes out of the leaves when chewed, if an animal comes in contact with the sap, it can cause skin irritation.

This could include itching as well as redness and swelling around the area. If you notice your pet’s lip area becoming somewhat red and sored, you might assume that it has tried to taste the plant’s sap.

How to treat pets that consumed Mandevilla or Dipladenia?

If your pet has consumed Mandevilla or Dipladenia, here is what you can do:


You can induce vomit in dogs and some other animals. Other than that, have your vet prescribe anti-inflammatory medicines if the stomach upset is too bad. Sometimes, just rinsing the mouth with some water could do the job.


Rinse and wash your pet completely. If necessary, give them a good bath to make sure all the sap and plant leaves are off the pet’s body.


Prevent is better than cure. Hence, the best solution may be to keep the plants away and out of reach of pets completely.

If you want to have the plant and the pet, make sure you teach your pet commands that discourage them from going near such plants.

What is the difference between a Mandevilla and a Dipladenia?

Although they may be related, Mandevilla and Dipladenia have a few notable differences. They are:


Mandevilla and Dipladenia do not grow the same way. While Mandeville will grow in a pot and will transform into a vine, quite the same is not true for Dipladenia.

The latter can be grown in a pot and will not necessarily vine. Hence the two plants look distinguishingly different when put side by side.

Leaves and Foliage:

There is a distinct difference between Mandevilla and Dipladenia when it grows into a full plant. The foliage of Mandevilla is long, as well as narrow.

The leaves of Dipladenia, on the other hand, are shaped like a heart. Dipladenia’s leaves are also wider compared to Mandevilla.


When it comes to the blooms, you might not be able to tell if there is any difference between the two plants.

However, Dipladenia has flowers that are smaller in size than Mandevilla flowers. The colors of the flowers that each of the plant products are also slightly varying.

Dipladenia flowers are usually yellow and pink, while Mandevilla flowers are mostly red and other shades of red. When it comes to noticing the difference, flowers might not be so distinctive.

Final Thoughts

Mandevilla or Dipladenia plants are not listed in the category of toxic plants that may harm dogs, cats, or other animals. However, being in the dogbane family, certain parts can cause animals to get sick and have indigestion issues. The sap from both plants can cause pets to have skin irritation.