Skip to Content

Is Bougainvillea Poisonous to Dogs, Cats & Other Animals?

Bougainvilleas are very beautiful flower plants, which are a forever favorite for plant lovers. A common problem that pet owners face is if their pet animal would somehow get sick or poisoned near the plant. So, if you have a pet, you should make sure it is safe.

Is bougainvillea poisonous to dogs?

Although most plants are safe for dogs, the bougainvillea flowers are mildly toxic for dogs. The plant is not exactly deadly for your dog, but it might cause an upset stomach or other issues. In fact, your dog may or may not get sick or have side effects after eating a bougainvillea plant.

When ingested, bougainvillea can be irritating for your dog. There is a chance that your dog will get an upset stomach or any other side effect.

The most common side effects that your dog can face after eating a bougainvillea flower are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or any other gastrointestinal symptoms.

While the leaves of the plant are usually safe for the dog, the actual flower is slightly harmful. So it is fine if your dog chews on the leaves of the bougainvillea plants but make sure they don’t have any part of the flower. The flowers are deemed slightly toxic for dogs.

Can bougainvillea make dogs sick?

Although the bougainvillea plant is very much harmless for most animals, the case is not the same for dogs. The flower of the plant is mildly toxic for dogs. So if your dog ingests a bougainvillea flower, there is a chance they might get sick. The leaves are okay though.

Are dogs allergic to bougainvillea?

Dogs are not generally allergic to the bougainvillea plant. The plant does not have any allergic components. In fact, the plant is safe for most animals. But dogs tend to get an irritated stomach if they have any part of the bougainvillea flower. The plant is slightly toxic for dogs.

What happens if my dog eats bougainvillea?

The mildly toxic bougainvillea flower can cause slight irritation to your dog’s stomach if they consume the flower. There are many side effects that your dog might face –

Gastrointestinal problems:

The most common symptom is the gastrointestinal problems;

Nausea:

Your dog might feel nauseous as soon as they eat any part of the bougainvillea flower;

Vomiting:

There might be vomiting after a while;

Diarrhea:

In the worst-case scenario, your dog might get diarrhea after eating the flower.

The plant bougainvillea is mildly toxic for dogs. Most of the time your dog will get irritated because of the upset stomach after eating the flower of the plant.

Is bougainvillea poisonous to cats?

Bougainvillea plants are non-toxic for cats. Your cat may face some irritation near its mouth, but that is because of the sap of the flower. In general, the bougainvillea plant or the flowers of the plant are very much harmless for your cat. There are no health issues if your cat eats the leaves.

Cats tend to eat and chew on plants and leaves. This is a part of their grooming process, and sometimes they do it out of habit. Luckily for you, the bougainvillea plant is not harmful to cats. So they can chew on the plant and the flower of the plant as much as they want.

There might be slight irritation around their mouth after eating the flower. Their stomach might get a little upset as well. But that is not much of a worry. There is no severe harm if the cat eats the bougainvillea flower or the leaves of the plant.

Are bougainvillea flowers poisonous to cats?

The bougainvillea plant is not toxic for cats. The plant and the flower of the plant do not cause any harm or irritation to the cat if consumed. There is a good chance that your cat will start to nibble on the leaves or the flower of the plant.

You can rest assure that the plant is harmless and non-toxic for your cat.

Cats will chew on flowers and leaves of plants. If you are worried about any toxic reaction then you should get a bougainvillea to keep around your cat. The plant is not toxic or harmful to your cat.

What happens if a cat eats a bougainvillea flower?

Although the bougainvillea plant is not harmful to cats, there might be some minor issues that you will notice. These are not very serious but you should be aware of them –

Little irritation in the mouth:

There might be little irritation near the cats’ mouth. That is because of the sap of the tree;

Little stomach irritation:

Very little stomach irritation can be noticed after your cat eats any part of the plant, especially the flower;

Injury:

The thorns of the plant can cause injury to the cat.

There is a good chance that the plant will not harm your cat in any way but it is best to be aware of the consequences, no matter how small they seem.

Is bougainvillea poisonous to other animals?

The bougainvillea plant is perfectly safe to be kept around pets and animals. Most animals have no issues if they eat a leaf or the flower of the plant. The Bougainvillea plant is very much harmless and non-toxic for almost all animals. So you can be worry-free around the plant about your pet.

In general bougainvillea flowers are not harmful to animals. The plant is very much non-toxic and is safe to be kept around pet animals. There are some animals, like dogs, who might get an irritated stomach if they consume the flower of the plant.

But most animals are okay and safe around the plant.

No part of the plant is exactly toxic for most animals. But the thorns of the plant can be the cause of external injuries. Some animals might get an irritated mouth because of the sap of the flower. Other than these, the plant is very much safe for most animals.

What animals have poison threat from bougainvillea?

It is very uncommon for any animal to have problems with the bougainvillea plant. The plant is very much safe and non-toxic for most animals. Other than a few minor issues the plant does not cause any harm to any animal.

But even so, there are one or two animals that should be kept away from the plant –

Dog:

The bougainvillea plant tends to be mildly toxic for dogs. Dogs will get slight irritation and gastrointestinal issues if they consume the flower of the bougainvillea plant.

Other than the dog, almost all animals are safe around the bougainvillea plant.

How to treat animals if they eat bougainvillea?

There are very few animals who will have any sort of negative reaction if they have eaten any part of the bougainvillea plant. Though it is very easy to treat them if they seem very serious.

But most of the time, the animal will feel better as soon as the plant residue is out of their system –

Water:

Give your animal a lot of water so it can digest easily;

Famotidine or on Pepcid AC:

If your dog starts vomiting, start them on any sort of Famotidine or on Pepcid AC 10 mg;

Call your vet:

Call your vet if the situation seems very serious or if your animal gets diarrhea.

How do you treat bougainvillea rash?

The bougainvillea flower is not harmful to any animal or humans. The plant is not toxic and does not tend to cause any harm to anyone that comes in contact with the plant. But the worse consequence of it all is the rash infection.

If anyone gets pricked by a thorn there is a chance of getting an infection.

If you get pricked by the thorn of bougainvillea or get a rash you should get it treated immediately. There are a few things you can do at home to soothe the pain or to treat the wound sooner –

Pull out the thorn:

You should pull out the thorn first and make it bleed for a while so some of the poison can get out as well;

Soak in warm water:

Soak the affected in warm water and Epsom salt solution;

Draw out some poison:

Slowly draw out some of the poison from the thorn pricked area;

Antibiotic ointment:

Put antibiotic ointment on the wound and cover it with a band-aid;

Go to the doctor:

If you see red streaks forming near the wound you should go to the doctor as soon as possible.

Bougainvillea thorns contain little poison in them. So if you ever get pricked by one, make sure to treat it carefully and immediately. Better not to take any chances with the wound. 

Final thoughts:

Most of the plants are usually non-toxic to animals. Dogs tend to get a bit sick if they take any part of the bougainvillea flower, not the leaves. But most animals are safe around the bougainvillea plant. The plant is non-toxic and harmless for most animals, like cats and such.