Skip to Content

Can Dogs Have Smarties? (All You Need to Know)

It should come as no surprise that many candies and sweet treats may be harmful to dogs. We often stumble upon a common question: can dogs have smarties?

In this article, we will break down whether dogs can have smarties and which candies can your dog have. So without further ado, read ahead to learn more about the sweet treats that are good and bad for your dog.

Can dogs have smarties?

Dogs can have smarties. But you will have to be very careful with the number of smarties that your dog is consuming. Dogs can consume smarties up to 10 grams at a time. Any more than that may cause stomach issues such as indigestion, diarrhea, or vomiting.

Are smarties good or bad for dogs?

It is commonly known that sugary treats are not good for dogs. So people raise concerns about whether smarties are good or bad for dogs. The answer is simple: smarties in small quantities are not bad for dogs but may be harmful if taken in large quantities.

You should be careful with how many smarties you’re allowing your dog to consume. If they are eating smarties more than 10 grams, then it may cause various indigestion problems for them.

Smarties are not good for dogs when they eat any more than 10 grams. It may even be poisonous for them. Smarties are sugary and contain artificial flavors, all these may prove to be harmful to your dog.

There are no nutritional values in smarties that can help your dog. In fact, your dog may experience stomach irritation, including vomiting, diarrhea, and other indigestion problems.

Moreover, smarties are believed to contain an artificial sweetener called Xylitol. Although it is present in smarties in small quantities, the ingredient is extremely harmful to both dogs and cats.

Besides stomach indigestion, these candies may cause symptoms such as hyperactivity, seizure, increased heart rate, tremors, and so much more. So experts always advise people to not feed smarties.

You will find several treats in the market that are designed for dogs. Smarties are not one of them. It is bad for dogs when they eat any more than 10 grams. Smarties are not safe for dogs, as they can cause several health issues.

So you should not treat your dog with smarties. Instead, treat them with dog food. They have nutritional values that will help your puppy grow into a healthy dog. In addition, your dog will enjoy these treats more than smarties, so it is always a better choice.

What happens if a dog eats smarties?

Smarties or other sweet treats are not healthy for dogs. They can have an adverse effect on your dog’s body, especially when they are consumed in large quantities.

So be careful with feeding your dogs candies, gums, or smarties. Sugary products such as these can cause stomach irritation among dogs.

If your dog eats smarties, it is likely that they will have an indigestion problem. Your dog may experience vomiting and diarrhea. In addition, dogs may face hyperactivity, sugar rush, seizures, and other such health problems when they eat smarties.

Dogs may experience chocolate poisoning if they eat more than 10 grams of smarties. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning will include diarrhea, vomiting, excessive thirst and urination, restlessness, and more.

Will one smartie hurt a dog?

Just one smartie may not hurt a dog. Smarties under 10 grams cannot hurt your dog. But if it is consumed in large quantities, smarties may turn out to be poisonous for your dog.

So it is better not to treat your dog with smarties. There are no nutritional benefits to this sugary product, and neither will your dog enjoy the treat. Instead, it is always best to treat your feline friend with some dog food.

Do smarties have xylitol?

People often raise concerns about whether smarties have xylitol. It is a very harmful substitute of sugar that can prove to be poisonous for dogs as soon as it enters their body.

It may even be life-threatening for them. A high dose of xylitol can cause severe liver damage in dogs. However, rest assured that the company claims that smarties do not have any xylitol.

What are the signs of xylitol poisoning in dogs?

Xylitol is very harmful to dogs. It may even be life-threatening if the symptoms are not treated immediately. Here are the signs of xylitol poisoning in dogs:

Vomiting:

Dogs may vomit within a couple of hours of consuming Xylitol. This is a common sign of Xylitol poisoning in dogs.

Drop-in blood sugar:

Another common sign of Xylitol poisoning in dogs is that their blood sugar drops suddenly. Your dog will feel weak all of a sudden and there will be a visible lack of activities among dogs. 

Weakness:

If you notice that your dog has grown weak then it is a sign of xylitol poisoning in dogs. Dogs usually collapse after consuming xylitol. They may even experience seizures.

These signs may show within 12 to 24 hours after a dog has consumed xylitol. If you have authorized the consumption of xylitol or if your dog has eaten it without your knowledge, watch out for these signs.

How to treat xylitol poisoning in dogs?

Xylitol poisoning can be very harmful to your dog. If you have allowed your dog a product that contains xylitol without knowing its harmful effects, make sure to keep an eye out for the signs of poisoning.

If you notice that your dog is acting out of the ordinary, take your dog to the vet immediately.

The vet will take a very fast and aggressive approach to xylitol poisoning treatment. Since the toxicity level in this ingredient can be life-threatening for a dog, there should be no delay in starting the treatment. It will save the dog from experiencing any severe conditions.

As soon as you take the dog to a vet, they may induce vomiting to save your dog from xylitol poisoning. It will keep the xylitol from further entering the dog’s blood cells.

In addition, vets will monitor the blood sugar level of your dog. They will also conduct dextrose administration. Moreover, your dog will need medicines to protect its liver and body fluids.

That is to say, your dog will need to remain hospitalized and under strict supervision for a while after they have experienced xylitol poisoning. If it is not possible to reach a vet within a short time, induce vomiting in your dog by yourself. It will save your dog’s life.

Can a dog survive eating xylitol?

Xylitol is extremely poisonous for dogs. Even if a dog consumes xylitol in small quantities, it may experience a sudden drop in blood sugar, liver failure, and seizures. It can even lead to a dog’s death. 

But a dog can survive eating xylitol if the poisoning is treated immediately. Vets usually take a very aggressive approach to such treatment.

Dogs receive treatments such as liver protectants, blood sugar regulators, etc in such a case. But it can definitely save your dog from severe complications.

What sweets and candies can dogs not eat?

Sugary products and candies are often not safe for dogs. So there are strict restrictions you should follow while offering sweets and candies to your dog. There are many sweets and candies that your dogs cannot eat.

Make sure to keep sugar-free sweets and candies away from your dog. These will harm your dog and may prove to be quite toxic for them. In addition, keep them away from sweet and candies that contain even small quantities of xylitol.

It is a natural sugar-free sweetener that is poisonous for dogs.

Moreover, keep dogs away from chocolates, raisins, and such sweets. They can be life-threatening for dogs. Your dog may experience a sudden drop in blood sugar, seizures, and more if you allow it to eat these sweets and candies.  

What sweets and candies can dogs eat?

Sweets and candies are generally considered harmful for dogs. But there are a few sweets that you can offer your dogs occasionally, to treat them.

Here is a list of sweets and candies that dogs can eat. But make sure to supervise the quantity and allow these sweets only in a small amount. The advised quantity is less than 10 grams. Do not allow them to eat these sweets and candies in large quantities.

  • Candy corn
  • Starburst
  • Smarties
  • Blow pops
  • Butterfinger
  • Kitkat
  • M&Ms

Final thoughts:

Dogs can have smarties. But you should supervise the quantity before allowing them to indulge in smarties. Eating smarties in large quantities may cause poisoning in your dog, resulting in vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. So if you allow your dog to eat smarties, make sure it is less than 10 grams.