Skip to Content

Are Snapdragons Poisonous to Dogs, Cats, and Other Pets?

Antirrhinums, commonly known as dragon flowers or snapdragons, are perennial plants. This means that they typically last 3-4 years. Their name originates from their resemblance to the faces of dragons.

Snapdragons possess colorful flowers, making them popular ornamental flowers for homes and gardens. However, pet owners should be cautious of the plants they choose to keep indoors as the wrong type of flower can be a potential hazard to their cat or dog.

Dogs and cats commonly show allergic reactions to a wide variety of flowers. This can make such plants detrimental to your pet’s health. Thus, before adorning your interior with bright snapdragons, find out whether or not these perennials are toxic for your pet.

Are snapdragons poisonous to dogs, cats, and other pets?

The American Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals states that snapdragons are completely non-toxic to cats, dogs, and other domestic pets. However, pesticides and fertilizers added to the flowers may harm pets and should be avoided. Instead, it is advised to grow snapdragons from their seeds.

Are snapdragons poisonous to cats?

Despite popular belief, antirrhinums or snapdragons are not actually poisonous to cats.

They have been included in the University of California’s list of non-toxic plants for domestic cats, along with Orchids, Staghorn Ferns, Venus Fly Traps, and most herbs such as Basil and Rosemary.

Your cat may be attracted to the taste or texture of these plants, causing them to start munching on your perennials. They may also display this behavior simply due to boredom.

Despite their strong instinct, it is not uncommon for cats to chew on the leaves and petals of house plants that may be severely toxic to them. These include lilies, daisies, chrysanthemums, and English ivies.

Although you should be alarmed if your cat happens to encounter these toxic plants, you can rest assured that snapdragons are among the cat-friendly house plants.

Are snapdragons safe or toxic to dogs?

Antirrhinums or snapdragons are among the list of countless dog-friendly plants. These bright and boisterous flowers not only add more glamour to a home but are completely safe for domestic pets, including all dogs.

It is normal for dogs, especially young puppies, to chew on foliage out of boredom, anxiety, and often to fill gaps in their diet – particularly fiber. This is also why dogs can commonly be seen eating grass.

Although most plants are harmless for dogs, you should be beware of common low-to- mildly toxic house plants that may be dangerous for dogs to consume. These include Peace lilies, Jades, Castor Oil plant, Chinese Evergreen, and Aloe Vera.

It is important to be cautious when your puppy or dog happens to come across these toxic plants, as they might lick or chew its leaves and flowers. This can lead to dogs becoming severely ill, showing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach upsets.

However, if your dog starts munching on the foliage of snapdragons or begins rolling around in them, there is nothing to be concerned about since these perennials are approved by the University of California to be dog-friendly.

Angelonia Flowers, also known as summer snapdragons, are non-toxic to both cats and dogs – as stated by the Humane Society of the United States.

Are antirrhinums or snapdragons poisonous to other pets?

Although cats and dogs are among the most popular domestic pets, gardeners and farmers may also want to know whether the patches of snapdragons outdoor may potentially be toxic to other pets or barn animals.

Continue reading to find out whether or not you should keep your rabbits or chickens away from antirrhinums.


Although snapdragons are not generally poisonous to rabbits and bunnies, they will avoid eating these antirrhinums as they find them unappetizing.

This is due to rabbits possessing a powerful sense of smell, causing them to find the highly aromatic scent of snapdragons unappealing. On rare occasions that bunnies decide to chew on snapdragon flowers, the bitter and yucky taste of the petals is sure to turn them away.

Pot Marigolds, Wax Begonias, Geraniums, Strawflowers, and Snapdragons are among the list of plants that are commonly used to deter hungry wild rabbits, that would otherwise destroy other garden plants.

However, some parts of Antirrhinums may be toxic to pet rabbits and should be avoided as indoor house plants.

Birds and Chickens:

Antirrhinums are safe for backyard chickens to consume and do not pose any harmful effects.

As chickens love to nibble on flowers and plants aside from the commercial food provided to them, it is advised to be aware of all the flowers that your chickens may have access to and ensure that they are safe to digest.

Dandelions, Sunflowers, Primroses, Peonies, Thistles, along with Snapdragons are some non-toxic flowers that chickens commonly like to feed on.

Some examples of poisonous backyard plants that chickens might unknowingly consume include Daffodils, Tulips, Nightshade, and Amaryllis. These birds are generally good at avoiding potentially harmful plants.

But there is always a risk of accidentally ingesting a part while foraging.

Although few studies report the toxicity of snapdragons for birds other than chickens, the plant is generally considered safe for them. However, only Woodpeckers and Cliff swallows are among the few birds that are known to eat snapdragons.

Horses and Deer:

The American Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals state that snapdragons are not toxic for horses to ingest. As horses often like to graze and forage around in pastures, horse-owners should be able to recognize poisonous plants and their symptoms.

Such plants include the Buttercup species, Nightshade species, Poison Hemlock, Black Walnut, and Oaks.

Levels of toxicity of these plants typically range between low to moderate, displaying symptoms such as blistering around the mouth, irritation, respiratory issues, and muscle tremors.

Similarly, these bright, candy-color blooms of antirrhinum are unappetizing to Deers. In fact, snapdragons are often used as deer-resistant plants to prevent them from grazing on other edible plants in an area.

Are snapdragons deer and rabbit resistant?

Snapdragons are commonly used to deter both rabbits and deer from feasting on garden plants, as the four-legged animals find the plant completely unappetizing and unpalatable.

The colorful blooms of antirrhinum petals taste bitter and unpleasant to bunnies, on the occasion that they decide to ingest it. Generally, the strong stench of these flowers is enough to put off the pests due to their keen sense of smell.

Deers also tend to avoid snapdragons when looking for plants to feed on as they too find antirrhinums highly displeasing. This makes snapdragons an effective deterrent for Deer and rabbits when planted around a garden.

Are snapdragon leaves poisonous?

Snapdragons, or Antirrhinums, have been approved by The American Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals as a non-toxic flowering plant for humans, cats, dogs, and horses.

This includes the leaves of the plants, which are considered safe and non-toxic upon ingestion. If an infant or pet accidentally consumes parts of the leaves of snapdragons, it will not cause any harmful effects and is, therefore, nothing to be concerned about.

However, parts of the plant such as the seeds can be toxic especially for infants or pets. The University of California also lists Snapdragons as safe garden plants but advises gardeners to seek urgent action upon consumption of any parts of the plants.

Are snapdragon petals edible?

Snapdragon petals are technically considered edible but may not appeal to everyone’s taste due to their bitter flavor, despite their sweet appearance.

Although researchers at the University of California claim colorful snapdragons to be non-toxic for humans and most pets, they advise gardeners to seek out medical attention if dermatitis or other reactions occur after handling the petals.

Are snapdragons medicinal?

Snapdragons are commonly used to treat ulcers and skin tumors as an ingredient in poultices. Poultices are pastes created from multiple herbs, spread on a warm cloth that is pressed against inflammations or wounds.

The plant is effective in treating most inflammations and irritations of the skin. The plant was also traditionally used to treat liver disorders, scurvy, and as a diuretic.

Final thoughts

In conclusion, snapdragons are affirmed to be completely safe for dogs and cats to consume. However, horses and rabbits may display adverse symptoms from its toxicity upon ingestion, and will typically avoid the plant. Other domestic pets such as chickens are also not harmed by the flower.